Natural disasters are on the rise, putting business owners at risk of suffering damage or loss of business property. A big disaster can literally put you out of business.
If you own a business in Maine, your customers and employees depend on you to prepare for the worst. Commercial insurance from Noyes Hall & Allen Insurance is one way to protect your business from disaster damage. Here are a few other ways to prep your small business for natural disasters.
Employee Disaster Readiness
- Develop a plan for your employees, so they will know what to do in the event of a disaster.
- Make sure that employees know who to contact and how to reach key personnel when needed.
- Create an evacuation plan that employees can easily follow if they have to escape in a hurry.
- Update new employees on disaster readiness so everyone is well-informed on what’s expected of them if disaster strikes.
Communicating with Clients after a Disaster
If your customers can’t reach you after a disaster, they may find someone else who can help. Don’t jeopardize your business. Have a plan to continue your operations, and let your customers know where to find you.
- Have a plan in place to communicate with key clients after a disaster.
- If your building is severely damaged, you may need to open a temporary location to continue operations. Thinking about possible options before disaster strikes can save valuable time following a disaster.
Protecting Essential Data after a Disaster
Make sure your primary data is backed up digitally to prevent loss in a disaster. This includes financial records, employee and customer information, and any other critical data you need to keep your business running. Cloud backup is the safest, most secure means of protecting essential data from natural disasters.
Commercial Insurance Coverage
Purchase adequate commercial insurance for your building, business equipment, and inventory. Just as important, be sure you have business interruption coverage. Many businesses have enough insurance to replace what they lose, but not enough to recover lost earnings. This can cause your business to fail.
Maine Business Insurance
For information on commercial insurance coverage and costs, contact Noyes Hall & Allen Insurance in South Portland, ME. We offer a choice of Maine’s top business insurance companies. We can help you find the right fit for your business. We’re independent and committed to you.